Why a new Main Library?
Our library is one of the most important investments we can make on the Eastern Shore. A library is a reflection of the quality of life of the community it serves. Libraries are the most used public buildings, open to everyone.
Our library is being used more and more:
- The circulation of books, DVDs and audio books has increased over 50% since 2005.
- The usage of the free computers and free Wi-Fi has increased 194% at the same time.
- There has been increased interest and demand for the genealogical and local history information available in the Eastern Shore Room.
- The number of library card holders in Accomack and Northampton counties has increased to 35% of population.
The Main Library will improve services to everyone on the Eastern Shore by providing a light-filled, flexible, energy-efficient community space.
- The Eastern Shore Room will be expanded to provide better access and display of our outstanding genealogical and local history information and will provide special storage conditions to maintain historic documents.
- There will be flexible computer areas and training rooms for everyone to access the internet for job applications, research and personal use.
- There will be meeting rooms, from small study areas to large community rooms which also would be available after hours for library programs, community events as well as civic and organization meetings.
- There will be a dedicated Teen Area along with a Children’s Room, Friends of the Library area and display areas for local artists.
- Office space will be provided for the Main Library Technical Services Department which supports all four of the Eastern Shore libraries.
- The parking lot will be bigger and better lit.
Meeting the Need
The need now is to bring together community and regional support, both private and public, to make the new Main Library a reality.